Re: High load squid server

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:56:24 +0200

Duane Wessels wrote:

> > Third,
> > are there any disk partitioning consideration regarding with squid
> > performance?
>
> I recommend one filesystem per disk drive. Never RAID.

Using RAID0 is fine. So is RAID1 if you have the diskspace to spare..

RAID5 should be avoided at all costs for Squid's current I/O pattern.

Hardware RAID0 controllers are generally a lot faster due to write-back
caching than having the diskes separately on a normal SCSI controller.
This is certainly true on operatingsystems with syncronous metadata
writes.

For systems with relaxed metadata writes like Linux, the benefit of the
write-back caches available on RAID controllers are quite minimal, as
the same function is already performed by the OS but without any battery
backup which might exist on the RAID controller.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker