Doubts on Squid Configuration Parameters

From: squidinfo <squidinfo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:52:19 -0400

Hi all,

I went through the configuration file for squid ( /etc/squid/squid.conf ),
and I had certain doubts about the certain parameters.

Could anyone throw some light on these parameters ( with example usage ):

   hierarchy_stoplist
   no_cache
   always_direct
   never_direct
   prefer_direct

I am not clear as to how is "hierarchy_stoplist" and "no_cache" different in
terms of functionality ?
Also "always_direct", "never_direct" and "prefer_direct" have very similar
behaviours. Could someone give me a concrete example when to use these
parameters, and in what sequesnce ?

Thanks and Regards
Masaoud