clients have to refresh their pages

From: Dan Williamson <danw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 07:05:56 -0500

About 75% of my users are affected by this problem and it happens to them
about 50% of the time. For them to view a page they have to press the
refresh/reload button on their browser. In Netscape an error box pops up
saying "server has reset connection". In MSIE a page comes up saying the
server could not be found. On my own machine that I can dual boot between
2k and Linux, both IE and Netscape run flawlessly and very quick too I might
add. To the best of my knowledge I can't see any significant difference
between the boxes that do work, and the ones that don't.

I have a 7200 router running IOS 12.1 T with WCCP V1 enabled. I have tried
several flavours of Linux with several different kernels both with the
ip_gre and ip_wccp methods. I have tried FreeBSD. I have been battling
with Squid 2.3Stable3 and I can get it fully operational, however they all
have the same problem. The router is telling me that it is making the
connection and transferring the packets without any errors.

The only thing that has really remained constant is the IOS. I would like
to be able to try an older IOS just to try, but the downtime isn't an
option.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. After two weeks of searching
the archives, the net... I've exhausted everything that I can think of.

Dan