IE doesn't open then popup authentification ?

From: deckert florian <fdeckert@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:47:59 +0200

hi,
we want to use authentification to allow access to internet, but we
don't want to allow users to share the account.
So we set the ip_ttl value to 3600 (one account should only be used by
one ip address in 1 h).

BUT, we found that IE seems to transparently reauthentificate when squid
send him a 407 error. Netscape in the other hand open a popup each time
it receive this code.

we tried to browse at 2 users simultaneously with 2 IE, each one got
only one time the popup window (for the first authentification), and
after that nothing.

With 2 netscape, we got the popup window multiple times in the same page
(what should be the right behaviour).

so, we finaly patched squid in acl.c / aclMatchProxyAuth() to return 0
(error 401: access denied) instead of -1 (error 407). Now if 2 users try
to use the same account, they go from "access denied" page to good page
to "access denied"...

is there an other way to avoid sharing of account ?