Re: httpd_accel not caching properly

From: Jack Moffitt <jack@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:19:17 -0700

> That is not very good for cacheability. No information on when this page
> was modified or how long it might be cached are present. For all what it
> looks this is a dynamically generated non-static object.
>
> Also, the connection is closed, wich is further evidence of this.

. . .

> A guess is that your Apache is configured to process index.html and r.js
> using PHP.

Ok, this is a misunderstanding on my part then.

I didn't realize that Squid needed those headers to determine
cachability. It may be prudent to make a note of this in the "Here's
how squid works sections" which detail the tests, but say nothing of
what happens if those variables are undefined.

I added Expires: headers to those files, and I'm very happy now that
Squid is happily caching everything just like I wanted. Last-Modified:
headers also fixed the problem.

You were right; these are pages made by PHP. And PHP can output
headers, so I just have it generating the right Expires headers for the
content I'm caching. This also explains why it worked on the other box,
since that file actually had my Expires: header code in it :)

Thanks a lot for the help. I appreciate the quick responses :)

I'll be unsubscribing now that you guys fixed the problem, so any
further emails should be sent to me directly.

again, thanks.
jack.