Re: Squid and firewalls

From: Shuaib Khan <shuaib.khan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:15:58 +0100 (BST)

I am passing requests to the firewall - web pages appear but are VERY slow to do
so (Its much faster to go direct from browser to firewall proxy) - it looks
like there are some objects in the cache but they aren't passed back straight
away (if at all) - if the firewall is set up as a parent proxy do I still need
to send ICP requests to it? if so to what port?.

Thanks as always.

Shuaib

> I'm setting up squid and need to know the following :-
>
> (It is set up behind a firewall at the moment)
>
> How can I make it NOT do its own DNS lookups and instead just pass the request
> on.
>
> As its behind a firewall must it have a parent cache? Why is this and is there
> way around it?

Well, to where should squid pass the request on if it
a) Cannot connect directly to the site
b) There is no other system to send the request to

My guess is that you want the request to be sent to the firewall?

How Squid should be configured depends on the type of proxy-firewall you
have:
a) If it is a normal proxying firewall then it is the parent proxy
b) If it is a SOCKS based firewall then Squid must be socksified. Some
people have reported success using the runsocks automatic socksifier..

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker