Cache Byte Hit Ratios

From: Jimmy Stewpot <xtc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:39:06 +1000

Hello all,
I am just trying to increase my cache byte hit ratios, and am after some information on how this is best achieved. Currently my system has around 1gb of RAM, and is running at around 25% byte hit ratios, is this respectable, my HTTP request HIT ratio is around 55%.
My current squid memory is set to 32mb. Should i change this i read somewhere that changing this figure would actually help increasing the byte hit ratios. But elsewhere i have read that increasing this figure can actually cause harm to the performance in other areas, are these figures correct?
Is there any resource that i could find more information about these items. Or has anyone got any experience that could help me increase my byte hit ratios?.
NB i have around 64gb of Cache_dir space
thankyou in advance
Jimmy Stewpot