Re: SSL in Reverse-Proxy (Server Accelerator) Mode...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 00:10:49 +0200

Please see the "ssl" project on squid.sourceforge.net.

Answers:

*** Standard distribution: ***

1: Only when used as a normal proxy.

2: No

3: No

Squid only supports the CONNECT method for setting up transparent
tunnels for SSL thru a proxy, not SSL. So yes it can proxy SSL requests
when the browser is configured to use the proxy, but only because the
browsers are not using SSL when speaking to the proxy for setting up the
tunnel, only plain HTTP. Once the tunnel is esatblished the browser will
switch to SSL for sending the request to the origin server.

*** "ssl" distribution: ***

1: Only when used as a normal proxy. See 3 for HTTPS->HTTPS gatewaying.

2: Yes, it is supposed to be supported. Not sure about the performance.

3: Not yet. Code for allowing Squid to make SSL connections remains to
be written.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker