Entry in the log file

From: VaibhaV Sharma <vaibhavs@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:58:13 +0530

Hello all,
We are using Squid 2.3 Stable 2. We are using the ncsa_httpd authentication
method to allow users to access the Internet. We are trying to process the
access.log file to take out the activity of users. For that we want the user
login time and logout time.

What happens is that whenever the user opens a new browser window, a
TCP_DENIED entry is added to the logs. This is okay for the first browser
that is opened but if the user opens multiple browser windows, the same
thing is repeated. We are relying on the TCP_DENIED entries to find out the
user login time.

How do I prevent squid to add another TCP_DENIED entry when a copy of the
browser is opened? because we are getting these entries in every 5-6 minutes
which is not the correct login and the logout time. Is there any other way
to find out when the user logged in and started working on the client and
then stopped working. User logout can be calculated by the last entry that
the user makes but, what about the login time.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

VaibhaV Sharma
Indian Linux Users Group Indore Chapter