IE 5.5 doesn't work?

From: David Minor <dminor@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:11:46 -0600

Hi - it looks like the new version of Internet Exploiter - 5.5 - doesn't work
with Squid. I have been running the proxy server since January with no
real problems, but now I am having people call to say that it doesn't
work with the new browser.

So.....tried it out by updating a machine that had 5.0 on it (and had
always worked), and guess what? Suddenly the proxy no longer
functions.

What I see is that when the browser starts up it says "Detecting Proxy
Settings" for a long time, and then starts up OK. However, when you
hit a URL that is supposed to prompt you for username and password,
it doesn't. Usually when I have seen this behavior it's because the
browser hasn't grabbed the cache.pac file correctly, so it doesn't know
that it's supposed to do something at the appropriate times.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks,

david minor
university of new mexico