squid hangs

From: Ronald Warner <cscrw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:04:09 +0800

I have been tasked to administer squid on our cache cluster. three
of those are running squid2.3 stable1 while the fourth (our old
squid) server is a squid 1novm.

anyway, our system administrator told me that there are times
when squid would hang -- this is seldom though. And he would
have to start squid again (or stop and start). So, he asked if it is
okay if we restart squid every hour via cron.

My question is what are possible reasons for squid to hang.

Thanks.