RE: Transparent Vs WCCP

From: Russell Mosemann <mose@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 06:03:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, David Behr wrote:

> We use WCCP and one advantage I like is that it fails-safe if the proxy
> machine goes down - i.e. users browse the web directly. You can probably
> set this up with transparent proxy, but I think it would be more
> complicated.

We have a SmartSwitch Router 2000 from Cabletron. You set up an ip-policy
in order to redirect web traffic to squid for transparent proxy. It has
an interesting feature to turn a pinger on for the policy. If the squid
box disappears from the network, traffic will head directly for the
Internet. This doesn't detect whether squid is running, but it is a crude
failsafe. If there are problems, we can disconnect the computer from the
network while we fix them, and things still work for the users.

Russell Mosemann, Ph.D. * Computing Services * Concordia University, Nebraska