Re: Bug in IE 5.5 WPAD mechanism? - was Re: IE 5.5 doesn't work?

From: Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 17:53:23 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, David Minor wrote:

> Interesting. So maybe we've just been lucky that 5.0 has been working!

I think it might be whether this patch has been applied or not - I haven't
got round to try applying it to my machine to see if it breaks or not (I'm
running 5.0x).

I think some people might have picked it up who've used IE's autoupdate
mechanism, without necessarily knowing what's happened. (I wouldn't trust
Microsoft to automatically update a toilet roll without checking with me
first - they'd probably install cling film.)

> FYI I also found a workaround for the 5.5 problem. In all of the past cases
> people have been able to check the "Use a proxy server" box and put
> in the appropriate address and away they go. For us, the upgrade to
> 5.5 made this not work. However, if you check the Advanced button,
> and then enter the proxy info into the HTTP choice, it works.

Yes - we've found this and altered the documentation we supply to end
user's manually. But it is annoying because otherwise things would work
out of the box.

  - Bob

--
 Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin@reading.ac.uk>     Tel. +44 (0)118 931 8432
 Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK