Re: ICP/CARP architecture

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 19:41:35 +0200

DELWICHE SIEGFRIED wrote:

> I have seen in an MS white paper on CARP that there is a
> routing option called distributed routing: all requests go to one proxy
> that uses the other according the CARP method. The clients actually only
> see the first proxy.
> Is this option available with SQUID? What is the configuration in this case?
> I have seen in the SQUID doc that CARP is allowed only for parents. What
> does it mean?

It means that the only CARP thing Squid can (currently) do is the
routing, combined with caching if you like.

                    /-- "CARP" parent 1
                   /
clients -> squid ------ "CARP" parent 2
                   \
                    \-- "CARP" parent 3

Why I put CARP withing quites above is because Squid does not implement
a full CARP client, only the hashing algorithm of CARP. Squid does not
know how to retreive or parse the CARP array membership table. Squid
also does not know how to route requests within a single CARP array.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker