Re: 32 bit I/O DMA and IDE drives

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 14:04:27 -0500

I have to humbly disagree with Dirk, on this subject.

-u can be a dangerous option. And in extensive benchmarks, I've been
unable to find a measurable difference between using it and not using it
under Squid loads.

DMA is not always enabled by default on new hardware. Some UDMA66
controllers do require it to be turned on during system startup. And
some of the of newest UDMA 66 drives will not work in DMA mode at all on
some of the newest UDMA 66 controllers under Linux (Via 586/686 UDMA 66
controller chips and Seagate and Quantum 7200 RPM drives exhibit this
phenomenon).

-m16 also has only negligible impact on performance. 1-2% in fact.
Possibly statistically meaningless. It may be a big win for some types
of loads, but for Squid it's pointless to worry over.

DMA does make a big difference. In my tests, throughput can drop from
60 reqs/sec to about 40 reqs/sec, when a drive is not using DMA mode.
Of course, this is with a very CPU hungry async i/o compile of Squid, so
with DiskD or plain UFS, the difference is somewhat smaller--The current
speed limit of DiskD while maintaining good hit ratio, 45, drops to
below 30 when DMA is disabled.

32 bit I/O makes little difference in my tests.

My $.02

                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances