Re: secure connections

From: Martin Brooks <martin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 15:36:43 +0100

At 16:09 08-08-2000 +0200, Stefan Bochnig wrote:
>hi
>
>being the good boy i am i've already studied(!) the archives and faq's.
>still don't seem to work what should work.
>problem:
>i use squid V2.2Stbl5 (running on SUSE 6.4) to connect to the proxy of our
>isp (VPN router connects to isp proxy with some firewall implementations).
>http and ftp works fine. https crashes in ie 5.5, opera 4.01 just waits and
>waits and netscape doesn't seem to work too.

This problem has been discussed on the list before. It boils down to a bug
in IE 5.5 that means it cannot establish SSLv3 connections. This affects
either the 128 bit or 56 bit version of IE, I don't remember which.

The only way round it we found was to alter the Apache conf file so that it
forced MSIE agents to use SSLv2 and not v3 - I realise this isn't
appropriate in this case.

I have no idea if Microsoft have released a fix/upgrade/patch to correct
the problem.

Regards