Re: [SQU] What is "--enable-poll" for?

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:16:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Steve Snyder wrote:

]Ok, I give up. I've read through the doc that comes with Squid v2.3S4
]and searched through the archives of this mailing list and I still
]don't know what the "--enable-poll" config option does.
]
]I'm running Squid as a stand-alone (no parent or siblings) cache on a
]RH Linux system. Given these circumstances, why would I want (or not
]want) to use the --enable-poll config option?

It has nothing to do with polling in the sense of peers. Rather, the
--enable-poll selects, ooops, prefers the poll() system call over the
select() system call. Some systems, most notably Solaris, can only handle
1024 open FDs with select(), but an "arbitrary number" when using poll().

The system calls do essentially the same (though it is rumoured that some
systems implement one by using the other), that is (put short), wait on an
open FD for something to happen, and notify you which ones.

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726