[SQU] Redirectors and HDD spindown problem

From: Robin Patenall <r.patenall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:32:41 +0000

I'm setting up a dialup gateway machine and have installed squid to
locally cache pages. I also want to use the redirector facility to
filter out banners ads and fix a minor security problem, but I have
come across a problem (probably a poor configuration on my part but
I cant see it). I'm currently trying to get the HDD to spin down when
not in use but have found that squid manages to trigger uncached reads
(looking at disk_rblk in /proc/stat) from the drive every 15 seconds
or so when redirectors are used. Which basically means that the drive
will never spin down.

I am reasonably sure that it's not the redirector programme because
I've tried two different ones and the same patten or reads is apparent.
Anybody have ideas what is happening and how I can stop it ?

(Note: I'm using Squid-2.3STABLE5, and the spindown daemon I'm using
is noflushd)