[SQU] Replacement Polices. what do they exactly do?

From: Warren Smith <wsmith@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:14:54 +1000

Hi all,
        Regarding the policies GDSF, LFUDA. We have a cache size of about 40 gig (about 1/2 full over 3 partitions). I want to put in LFUDA as to keep the most popular hits in cache, doe this only start removing objects in cache when its near full or just over a period of time? Or does it rely on the cache_swap_low and cache_swap_high policies (size). I am just wondering this because it states that (as follows in squid.conf)
# The LFUDA policy keeps popular objects in cache regardless of
# their size and thus optimizes byte hit rate at the expense of
# hit rate since one large, popular object will prevent many
# smaller, slightly less popular objects from being cached.
 As it says 'at the expense of hit rate' like it will always make hit rate lower (40 gig cache should even this up?)
Thank you

Regards,

Warren Smith.
Warren Smith
System Administrator - Sunet I.S.P Australia
Email: wsmith@sunet.com.au
Belmont Computer Centre Pty. Ltd.
167a High Street Belmont, Victoria, Australia
PH (03) 52411155 Fax (03) 52416187