Re: back to topic, was, Re: Why the [SQU]?

From: Russell Mosemann <mose@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:19:14 -0500 (CDT)

I think it would help to lay out in more detail in the FAQ what
transparent proxying means, that is, a description of what happens during
the process to explain what is going on. I'm guessing that many people
don't have a model of how things work. Consequently, they have no idea of
what to check or try.

That leads to the next idea of what they should be trying at various
stages to see what is wrong. For example, if transparent proxy doesn't
work with a browser, they could use lynx on the proxy computer itself to
see if that works. Perhaps a general command line for tcpdump that can
help them see if packets are getting to the proxy computer and what
happens to them after that. They should know what log files are important
and example lines they should be seeing. It wouldn't hurt Linux people to
have a point to a FAQ about how to write ipchains, and an example for
netfilter will be needed when the 2.4 kernel becomes available.

BTW, there's no connection between your name and Eiffel 65, is there?

----
Russell Mosemann, Ph.D. * Computing Services * Concordia University, Nebraska
"If you smell an odorless gas, it's probably carbon monoxide."
 - student answer on a chemistry test