[SQU] Problems with SSL, parent cache requires authentication

From: Linux genius extrodinaire <maestro@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 14:59:09 +1000 (EST)

Hi, I have a squid cache running on my end of a ppp link, my ISP is also
running squid and it requires authentication to use it's proxy (http access is
denied if I try and do it directly so I have to use their proxy)

I have the following line in my squid.conf
cache_peer parent.proxy parent 8080 3130 login=xxxxx:XXXXXXXX no-query

When I try to connect to an SSL site (port 443) I get asked for a proxy
password for my proxy (I have no passwords configured for it) and cannot get
through. If I bypass my proxy and use my ISPs proxy directly I get straight
through with only having to enter the ISPs proxy password (xxxxx:XXXXXXXX as
above)

What is going on here? Where does this extra password come from?

My ISPs proxy is running squid, why doesn't their one have the same problem
(is it because they require a password?)

I am running squid 2.2.STABLE4