[SQU] load balancing using weight parameter works?

From: Stan P. van de Burgt <stan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 01:44:56 +0200

I read somewere that:
        When an ICP reply is received from a parent, we calculate the
        round trip time (RTT). Then we divide the RTT by the weight.
        When all replies (all misses) arrive, we'll select the parent
        with the lowest weighted RTT

We plan to run 3 parents on our LAN for three different connections to the
Internet (2 ADSL links and 1 cable modem link, to 3 different providers).

If we set the weigth to 1/1/1, does this mean that the first parent is
always selected (presuming the 3 parents are responding with the same RTT)?
Or would it balance nicely?

We would like to use the weight parameter for load balancing the requests
over the 3 parents with a preference for the 2 ADSL lines. Would a weight
setting of e.g. 10/10/3 (for ADSL/ADSL/Cable) do the trick?

- Stan