Re: [SQU] Layer 4 switching and IPChains

From: Ken Kirchner <kenk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:20:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Joe Cooper wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Quite simple...Assuming your squid box is doing the port redirect
> internally, and is acting as a gateway, and ip_forward is turned on, you
> can simply put an ACCEPT rule before the REDIRECT rule in your ipchains
> list. If the squid box is not doing the 80 -> 3128 REDIRECT then there
> is no easy way I know of to do this,

I'll have to check, but Im pretty sure our squid's are set up for port 80
in squid.conf (http_port 80). Are you recommending that I instead set my
squid to port 3128 and use IPChains to redirect 80 to 3128? And if so,
why? What is the advantage to this? Either way, would not an ACCEPT rule
work at the beginning of the chain?

 aside from doing it in the L4
> switch (why can't you do it there anyway, they're built for just such
> things?).

Like I said, this stupid switch only allows 1 ACL, and we are using that
one for a porn filter at the moment. At least the darn thing load
balances across our two squids, so thats nice.

Thanks for the reply Joe. I will muse over this some more with your
recommendations.

-Ken

--
Ken Kirchner                   :  kenk@shreve.net
Assitant System Administrator  :  Tel (318)222-2638