[SQU] high load on squid

From: Ronald Warner <cscrw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:21:54 +0800

this morning, I noticed that one of squid server's load average is
high -- above 1.5 and goes up to 5. it's taking the users a long
time to get the page they need. and squid kept restarting...

anyway, last week, I upgraded from squid23stable1 to
squid23stable4. however, I used the same cache directory as the
prior squid used; so I didnt do a squid -z.

to make things short after killing squid, rm -fr ./cache and did a
squid -z... things are back to normal again.

Should I have done a squid -z upon installation of the new version
of squid? or is this part of periodic maintenance, removing the old
cache and doing a squid -z to get a fresh one.

Thanks for the answers.