Re: [SQU] Refresh

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:12:00 -0500

Tilman Schmidt wrote:

> At 21:28 29.08.00 +0200, Isak Badenhorst wrote:
> >I am using squid as a transparent proxy. My problem is that when I open a
> >web page, then close it and go and make some changes to the pages and open
> >it again it does not show me the changes I made. If I press refresh in my
> >browser it also does not update the changes. Where do I miss the point? If
> >I point my proxy settings in my browser to my proxy machine it then updates
> >the pages.
>
> Your browser wouldn't be Microsoft Internet Explorer by any chance?
> MSIE has a known problem with transparent proxies and refresh. If it
> doesn't *see* the proxy then it behaves in a way that only works
> correctly without a proxy in the way.

On the subject of MSIE...Does anyone know for sure which versions of IE
are subject to this "feature"? I've heard rumblings that some versions
are not subject to it, but the two versions I have running here (4 and
5) seem to be. Because Microsoft makes it very hard to switch between
various versions, and upgrade and downgrade as needed for testing, I'm
having difficulties actually finding out which IE's have this problem.

I'm using a patch to fix the refresh issue that was posted by Henrik a
few months back. I'd like to modify it to only apply to those IE's that
are broken.

If anyone has a comprehensive list, that would be just grand. ;-)

Thanks for any enlightenment anyone can provide.
                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances