[SQU] FAQ: 4.9 question

From: Andrey Simonenko <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:00:03 +0400

>In case you want to be able to use direct connections when all the parents
go down >you should use a different approach:

> cache_peer parentcache.foo.com parent 3128 0 no-query
> prefer_direct off
>
>The default behaviour of Squid in the absence of positive ICP, HTCP, etc
replies is to >connect to the origin server instead of using parents. The
prefer_direct off directive >tells Squid to try parents first.

I tried to do it but all my requests squid gets directly. I think that this
is problem with always_direct and never_direct parameters.

There is one squid-proxy server which allows me to use it, also I've got
direct connect to Internet. I would like to use parent and when it isn't
accessable to use direct connect. Also I would like to make balancing
between direct connect and parent proxy. What should I set for always_direct
and/or never_direct to get what I need?

Please answer me on my e-mail.