[SQU] Restarting after hang

From: Doug <dbaldwin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:54:26 -0400

My configuration works great 95% of the time. But occasionally my redirector becomes overrun by requests, and squid stops responding to queries. Is there a way to simply restart squid from scratch? I've tried squid -k shutdown, then starting again but squid still fails to respond to queries. I've even commented out my redirect_program in squid.conf before restarting, but no success. My only successful proceedure to-date is shutdown -r.

I am willing to loose my cached objects and drop users, but I need to find a reliable way to restart squid and its redirector from scratch after these load spikes without rebooting Linux. Is this possible? Or does squid lockup some system resource when the redirector becomes flooded? Also, how can cron detect that squid has hung so corrective action can be initiated?

Running Linux 2.2.16 (Eiger LRP) with Squid 2.2.STABLE4-3 and squidGuard 1.1.4 with inlined Berkeley db-2.7.7