Re: [SQU] Squid and TIME_WAIT

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:47:51 -0500

Most likely you're just hitting the limit of what your box will do. Is
it a lot more than two thousand TIME_WAITS?

By convention, a lot of TIME_WAITS is normal and expected. By default,
they will stick around for 60 seconds for every finished connection. So
with 2000 requests per minute, you'll have 2000 TIME_WAITS at any given
time. It may be that changing a few network limits in proc (like upping
tcp_max_syn_backlog, or lowering the tcp_fin_timeout) will help a
little.

How big is your system? For that many users, it will have to be pretty
big and well tuned. I wouldn't really be comfortable with anything less
than a couple of U160 SCSI 10k disks and a 750 or 800 MHz processor.
(And assuming a threaded 2.2STABLE5+hno Squid and ReiserFS. But I seem
to recall that's what you are using. I'm also assuming you've raised
the ports and file descriptors, as necessary for such a load.)

Just some thoughts, I could be way off.

                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances