Re: [SQU] Blocking downloads

From: Mehrdad Fatemi <fatemi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 18:57:24 +0430

Use Squidguard.

Best Regards

Mehrdad Fatemi
R&D Director

< AFRANET Co. ---------------------------- R&D Dept. >

-----Original Message-----
From: Eugene Geldenhuys <eugeneg@tfx.com.au>
To: squid-users@ircache.net <squid-users@ircache.net>
Date: Thursday, September 07, 2000 11:22 AM
Subject: [SQU] Blocking downloads

Hi

I apologise in advance if the answer to this query has been posted.

I maintain a school environment where the students are
downloading large numbers of files.
In order to block downloads we created a restricted_files list
containing file extensions such as .exe, .zip, etc. and referred to it
from the squid acl's:

acl download urlpath_regex "/usr/local/squid/etc/restricted_files"

This works really well, but it only slowed the downloaders up
momentarily as they have now found numerous sites offering the
ablilty to change the file's extension prior to downloading it.

As it is virtually impossible to block all of the download sites, and just
as difficult to list every possible file-name combination, we
considered
inverting the process to only allow certain file types - .htm, .html,
.cgi, .asp, .jpg, .gif, etc. This would work, but we are not sure how
well.

Does anyone know of any other way to solve this problem?
Best Regards
Eugene Geldenhuys
MCNE ECNE MCSE MCP

TFX SOLUTIONS -
PROFESSIONAL NETWORK DESIGN ,IMPLEMENTATION AND SUPPORT