[SQU] localhost ip address fails to resolve

From: Chris DeCenzo <decenzo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 10:11:08 -0700

Hi.

I have a web server running on the same machine as my squid proxy and I
would like to access it using "localhost" rather than the machine's
hostname, however, when I type http://localhost into my web browser I get
the squid error below.

By the way, using 127.0.0.1 works here but the name "localhost" does not.
Is there any way to tell my squid proxy that localhost resolves to
127.0.0.1? Or even my machine's actual ip?

I appreciate the help.
-Chris DeCenzo

Error I get:

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://localhost/

The following error was encountered:

      Unable to determine IP address from host name for localhost

The dnsserver returned:

      Name Error: The domain name does not exist.

This means that:

  The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
  Check if the address is correct.

Your cache administrator is webmaster.

Christopher DeCenzo
Liberate Technologies