Re: [SQU] Optimal cache sizes

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 21:30:54 +0200

Alejandrina Pattin wrote:

> We have 4 caches each 29GB in size (yes, GB, not MB). I was wondering if we
> would be better off with more, smaller, caches instead of these king size
> ones.

Depends on a number of things, and can't be answered this easily. For a
start, for a cache to be truly effective you need about 7 days worth of
cache.

For some having one single box is most effective, while for others the
most cost effective is a large number of boxes.

Which configuration to select is a cost effectiveness calculation,
involving, but not limited to:
* Price of hardware
* Thruput of each component, both hardware and software
* Administration cost
* MTBF rates on both hardware and software
* Your performance requirements
* Where you want caches to be located in your network

--
Henrik Nordtrom
Squid hacker