[SQU] Multiple proxy on one box

From: <tini@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 09:21:13 +0300 (EAT)

  If we have multiple links to the internet, to multiple providers,
but using a routing protocol is not possible, (and changing providers
is not and option) how to make squid use all of the connections ?

  I was thinking of this :

- on the border router, do the routing via the source address to the
"right" provider, owner of the address.

- on the squid box :

add an address in the network of each of the providers on the ethernet card

add something like this to the config :

cache_peer localhost parent 3129 7 no-query round-robin
cache_peer localhost parent 3130 7 no-query round-robin
cache_peer localhost parent 3131 7 no-query round-robin
cache_peer localhost parent 3132 7 no-query round-robin
cache_peer localhost parent 3133 7 no-query round-robin

and having some small proxies listening on port 3129, 3130, 3131,
3132, etc

Each of those small proxies would make its request using a source address of
one of the provider

  For instance, if the proxy on 3129 use address for provider A, proxy
on 3130, 3131 & 3132 use the address for provider B, et proxy on port
3133 to provider C, we would have 1/5 of the request which goes to
link to A, 3/5 to link to B, 1/5 to link to C

I'd like to test this idea, but I don't know any up to date non-cache
proxy which would do only this : proxying, but allowing to specify the
source address, like the tcp_outgoing_address directive of squid.

  And it doesn't seem pratical nor feasable to have 6 instances of
squid (the "real" caching one + the "assistants") running on only one
box.

Do you have any idea ? Or other ways to implement what I am trying to
acheive ?

Thanks,