RE: [SQU] Dynamic sites refusing connections

From: Gaal Yahas <gaal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:46:53 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> > The problem: I cannot access a number of sites through
> > squid. These are mostly large sites that manage user
> > sessions, such as: amazon.com, hotmail.com [I read the FAQ,
> > bear with me], etrade.com, zdnet.com. Specifically, I get a
> > "Connection refused (111)" error on the client, and indeed
> > subsequent attempts to connect to the server's port 80/tcp
> > (with, say, netcat or telnet) fail. It's as if the remote
> > site suspect an intrusion and deny my proxy's IP access.

> Have you by any chance configured Squid with --enable-icmp?

I've been using Red Hat's default configuration (with my own
modifications to squid.conf obviously), which is build *without*
--enable-icmp. (In fact, it's commented out of the RPM's SPEC
file.)

Since I couldn't figure out if I want --enable-icmp or not, I built
squid again *with* it, and that's what I'm running now. I can't
tell if that helps, though, because I'm still locked out of the sites
(amazon etc.).

What does "--enable-icmp" do, and should I or shouldn't I use it?

Gaal