Re: [SQU] Transparency in squid server

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:47:05 -0500

As I said, it's in the FAQ:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html

First OS entry covers Solaris.

Yes, transparent caching is exactly what you want. The clients do not
even know they are being cached except for the error messages looking
different. All configuration is done at the server side, and the
clients configuration is mostly irrelevant. The browser does not have
to be configured to use a proxy, nor does the clients computer OS.

Gagan Gandhi wrote:

> Dear Joe,
> I am running Squid on Solaris 8/intel platform. Where do i get information
> on "Transparency".
> I want to use squid as a "Caching Only Server", i.e. i want to use it
> without making any proxy settings at the browser.
> Is it the same as "Transeparent Proxy"?
> The Clients of squid are using a windows platform and Internet Exploree as
> the browser, so this "Tranparency" is to be implemented at the squid end or
> the client end?
>
> --

                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances