Re: [SQU] some store error?

From: Robert Milkowski <milek@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:37:33 +0200

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Robert Milkowski wrote:
>
> > > The 58.12% is percentage of the configured cache size. 34% is actual
> > > usage level in the underlying filesystem partition, similar to what df
> > > reports.
> >
> > Not exaclty 'coz
>
> Well, it is anyway.
>
> > cache_dir ufs /w3cache/0 8500 16 256
> >
> > so it is Maximum Size: 8704000 KB
> >
> > Current Size: 5058874 KB
> >
> > but why Current Size is larger than filesystem space which is used for
> > that cache???
>
> That is a much better question than what the figures stand for. Squid
> THINKS it has stored 5GB of data, but in reality there is only 3GB of
> data. Somewhere a lot of data has been lost.
>
> Probably it is time to ask Squid to rebuild it's store index. This can
> be done by shutting down squid, removing swap.state and then start Squid
> again. This will however take quite a while with quite a lot of disk
> activity (and thus possibly degraded performance). Or you could ignore
> the fact and let it repair itself by time.
>
> If it constantly stays in a state like this where a lot less of data is
> actually stored on the disk than Squid thinks then you are most likely
> seeing some bug in Squid.

So I deleted swap.state files and restarted squid. After some time it
works fine (squid's current size and filesystem usage were equal).
But after 2 days it started again

----
Store Directory #0: /w3cache/0
First level subdirectories: 16
Second level subdirectories: 256
Maximum Size: 8704000 KB
Current Size: 4109820 KB
Percent Used: 47.22%
Filemap bits in use: 236016 of 262144 (90%)
Filesystem Space in use: 2896735/8705501 KB (33%)
Filesystem Inodes in use: 179396/1044736 (17%)
Flags: SELECTED
----
Hmmmm.... strange
What I noticed is that filesystem usage never goes above 33-34%, shile
current cache size goes.
It looks like squid stops writting when fs is 33-34% of usage...
some info:
Squid Cache: Version 2.3.STABLE4
SunOS w3cache 5.6 Generic_105181-22 sun4u sparc
ps. there's no problem with inodes, I've checked it.
--
						Robert Milkowski
						milek@task.gda.pl