Re: [SQU] dnsserver on Squid 2 stable 5

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 00:11:31 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "suresh" <suresh@sol.net.in>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>;
<squid-users@ircache.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 12:02 AM
Subject: RE: [SQU] dnsserver on Squid 2 stable 5

> HI
>
> THANK YOU FOR REPLYING
>

> I AM USING EXTERNAL DNS A SECONDARY NAMESERVER OF DOMAIN
SOUTHERNONLINE.NET
> BUT SQUID INSTALLED USING RPM RUNS DNSSERVER BUT SOURCE CODE COMPILED DOES
> NOT

Yes.. you are correct. I was probably too brief in my reply.

Squid has two sorts of configuration options: compile time and run-time.
Compile time options are set when squid is compiled. RPM versions of squid
have these options preset. There is a compile time option that tells squid
to either use internal dns (the default nowadays) or external dns (what is
in your rpm). Internal DNS is more scalable and doesn't depend on the helper
program. But it behaves slightly differently to the external dns helper
program, which used your local resolver to get the DNS answers. There is
more info in the FAQ.

by reconfigure I mean run ./configure in your build directory with different
options to turn external dns on for your home-compiled version

Rob