Re: [SQU] A $5 Question (Formally:Transperant Caching)

From: Gary Barnden <gary@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 11:35:16 +1000

Hello agian,

At 14:54 20/09/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>Browsers configured to use the proxy will send packets TO the proxy. The
>destination IP address will be the proxy itself.
>
>Browsers with no proxy set will send packets direct to the destination web
>server, ie destination IP will NOT be the proxy.
>
>Is that enough hints :-)

Yes, this provides a light at the end of the tunnel. However, heres the problem

The only way to i can determine the "Destination" address is by either
using IPFILTER or an ACL inside Squid
as SquidGuard does not provide such an option.

I would prefer to do this within Squid using an ACL. However, when the
"Destination" address of the request is not the Proxy's IP address
I need to do a redirect to Web Server (yes i know this is strange, but is a
customers requirement).

Is this possible with ACL's?
Can I change the resulting error code that Squid produces based on ACL's

Any other options available to me??

or

Has anyone used IPFILTER to redirect requests to a Web server and have that
Web server serve a single page regardless of the requested URL??

thanks once again

>Colin
>
>On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Gary Barnden wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm i able to determine whether a user is hitting the cache by having
> their
> > proxies set in their browser or whether WCCP is redirecting the request to
> > the cache.
> >
> > Cache Port 3128
> > IPFILTER rule: rdr fxp0 0.0.0.0/0 port 80 -> x.x.x.x port 3128 tcp
> > SquidGuard installed

Kind regards

Gary Barnden
Braenet Pty Ltd