Re: HTTP1.0/HTTP1.1, persistent connections

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:51:24 +0200

Leander Berwers wrote:

> In another reply, you wrote:
> -----
> Connection persistanse is maintained separately between
> browsers<->proxy_servers and proxy<->upstream (parent/origin).
>
> * If a HTTP/1.1 client or a HTTP/1.0 client capable of persistent
> connections connect to Squid then the client connection will be kept
> open.
> * If Squid connects to a server capable of HTTP/1.0 style persistent
> connections then the server connection will be kept open.
> -----
>
> I am wondering if this is true, since I noticed that (I think!) Squid
> forces to close a connection to the browser with "Proxy-Connection:
> Close" when "Content-Length" is not sent by the server.
>
> Do you think this is true?

Without a Content-Length header Squid has no choice but to close the
connection. The message has to be delimited, and in HTTP/1.0 there only
is two message delimiters:
a) Content-Length
b) Connection closed

HTTP/1.1 adds other delimiting methods, but Squid does not yet fully
support HTTP/1.1, and those other delimiting methods are one of the
HTTP/1.1 features not yet supported.

/Henrik