Re: [SQU] why ip forwarding?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:11:02 +0200

M. Yu wrote:

> 1. why is there a need for me to enable ip forwarding?

If using a proxy, no.

> 2. if i *don't* need to enable ip forwarding, then how come if i
> disable it, my workstations keep saying "Host contacted. Waiting
> for reply..." and then times out?

Probably because they are not in fact using the proxy?

> 3. is it ok for me to use 1 physical interface for both ip's,
> i.e. just use ip aliasing? will it degrade performance? (i have
> about 150 simultaneous connections)

ip-aliasing is fine, unless you care for security in which case separate
networks should be used for internal and external networks.

> 4. how do i keep squid from displaying it's version number whenever it
> generates an error page? (aside from creating error pages of my own)

You are not allowed to do that. You are however allowed to hide it in a
comment by adding the following to the end of the error page definitions
in squid/etc/errors:

<!-- Generated %t by %h running %s -->

%s must be used somewhere, or Squid will attach it's default signature.
The other are optional.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker