Re: HTTP1.0/HTTP1.1, persistent connections

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:17:12 +0200

Jens-S. Voeckler wrote:

> Ok, possessing an already opened connection still saves on the overhead,
> and is probably beneficial for the satellite link. Nevertheless, here are
> my EUR 0.02 on the issue: Modern implementations keep a cache of RTT,

Which is used for traffic control. I do not see how this fits in this
discussion. The point of having the pool of already established
connections is purely to bypass the latency from connection
establishment.

As I sais there is two approaches in avoiding the connection
establishment latency:

a) Make sure connections stay persistent as much as possible, by
extending the code to support the newer constructs of HTTP/1.1.

b) Have a pool of pre-opened connections.

Alternative B is of limited use if alternative A is implemented, but
might still be useful.

/Henrik