Re: [SQU] Resolving hosts to users

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 07:52:42 +1100

Hi Eugene,
MS Proxy does the username resolution by forcing user authentication to the
proxy server. When this is done via NTLM and a internet explorer browser,
the user is not prompted for a password.

The NTLM branch of squid, which is under active development allows NTLM
authentication on squid, and will get the domain and username and log it
with no user prompting (As long as they use I.E.). It also prevents the
passwords traveling on the wire to the proxy. The current CVS branch "ntlm"
is fairly stable as far as changes (it hasn't been broken in the last 2
months), but due to the restricted testing it has undergone, we are calling
it "alpha quality" at the moment. We plan on the following new features
before feature-freezing and pushing for a full release: dynamic PDC-BDC
connection failovers, sort term challenge-response caching.

If you are willing to have the user passwords on the wire, and the users
recieve a password prompt when they start browsing, then standard squid with
one of the SMB authentication helpers should do you just fine. They can
authenticate the user directly to the NT Domain.

Rob