Re: I know the Problem with ntlm

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:47:59 +1100

Hi Thomas

We have four issues we have discussed in this mailing thread:
1. Problems with the returned username's case
2. Problems with the returned usernames content (the high ascii character on
a couple of entries)
3. Problems with the returned usernames format (DOMAIN\USER)
4. Problems with IE sending packets in the wrong order.
5. The logging format (DOMAIN%2FUSERNAME instead of DOMAIN\USERNAME)

The answers (and by implication the answer to your question below)
1.
The NTLMSSP helper will be altered to always return lower case. Timeframe:
near future.

2.
I have passed the log to kinkie out of band. It contains the DES encoded
password hashes NTLM uses to authenticate from your samba server thru
squid - that is why you don't want it posted on the list :-}. When we've
fixed these bugs both kinkie and I will delete the log file. Hopefully we
can figure whether we have a bug in the decode logic, or your IE passed bad
data. Timeframe: near future.

3.
This is undergoing further discussion on squid-dev to sort out any issues
that might arise from such a patch. If we cannot do it for some reason (most
probably the one already mentioned: DOMAIN\ is an integral part of NTLM)
then you are welcome to do a patch yourself. However if we can do one it
will be alpha tested by kinkie and I and then thrown into CVS so you can use
it. Timeframe: slightly further away: this doesn't affect the usefulness of
squid's NTLM use, just adds a step to configuration.

4.
I am going to send you a very useful tool kinkie put together which can trap
the http headers being issued by the client and squid. At the moment, it
looks like ie or the squid-ntlm code is confused. I'll drop that tool to you
shortly with some instructions.

5.
No intention to look at this for the moment. I need to find out whether we
can use \ in the log file first: and getting the code fully functional takes
precedence.
BTW: Duane/Henrik/Adrian - can I log DOMAIN\USER rather than the escaped
version without breaking log analysers etc etc.?

Rob