Re: [SQU] Help with File Descriptors

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:07:43 -0500

Byron Peterson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The standard install of Squid on Mac OS X Server sets the "Default
> FD_SETSIZE" to 256.
>
> Is 256 File Descriptors enough for a cache that serves ~5000 clients,
> or do I need to find a way to increase the default? If I need to
> increase it, does anyone have any ideas on how to do that and what a
> good value would be?

I don't know how to change this on Mac OS. But are you planning to
support 5000 simultaneous clients with Squid on a single box? If you
have that many simultaneous clients you'll need at least two big boxes,
I would think...possibly more.

Further...you'll probably need about 1500-2000 FD's per box, possibly
more. We set all of our systems to max out at 8192, just in case.

256 is the default that Squid chooses if it doesn't know how to find the
value it needs...so you may be able to hand edit that value to something
else if you know your system allows more FD's.
                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances