[SQU] Using tcpdump or snoop to track down traffic

From: Karl Jones <kjones@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:19:05 -0500

When I telnet to a specific site using port 9000 they can snoop and see the activity however when I use their website via my browser (IE5.0), they see no traffic. Thousands others use the site without problem so it must somehow be us. They recommend using snoop at my end to see what's happening. I am on SCO and have gotten ahold of tcpdump but from the README it seems like I need to set up the system to have a dedicated network card to analyze traffic. Am I missing something? Isn't there some easier way to use my 99.99% working system and check on why this traffic is getting stopped?

Squid's logs seem to indicate no failures, errors, denials, etc. I have no real experience analysing these logs though.

The whole thing works smoothly once you get beyond the proxy. I'm not sure if this is truly squid-related or not but figured you folks have been around the block a time or two.

TIA