Re: [SQU] squid memory needs

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 00:39:46 -0500

> Greg wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I aren't quite sure how to work out how much memory to put in with
> squid. the makers of squid say for every 8 gig you need 48 meg of ram
> we have 55 gig so we worked out we needed 330 of ram we would put in
> 384, is that enough for real work performance, lets say we put in 512
> meg of ram would that help squid perform even better or wouldn't squid
> use up all the ram?

Squid in its current form will eat pretty much every bit of RAM you give
it. 55GB of cache_dir is pretty big and will require quite a bit of
memory, depending on the way you compile your Squid (async i/o and diskd
require more memory).

We usually use 384MB for 14-24GB of storage, and 512MB for 24-32GB and
this seems to work well. So for 55GB, more is better.
                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances