[SQU] Disable authentication Realm, No Authprompts with MS-Proxy Explorer

From: Dr. Michael Weller <eowmob@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 17:01:53 +0200 (MESZ)

Dear Users & Developers,

I'm new to squid and some of our customers have/want to switch from
MS-Proxy to Squid. Alas, MS-Proxy comes with a special version of Internet
Explorer that automatically authenticates to the proxy with the Windows
account (not prompting for password). Now, those impaired people do not
like being prompted for the password at all (but want user based access).

>From my experiments with Netscape it *seems* that MS-Proxy does
not provide an authentication realm and the MS-Proxy specific Explorer
just sends the login password in this case. I would need to check with a
packet sniffer though.

So: Is there a way to disable the Realm in Squid? I can set it to
anything, but not remove it completely. Or is there another way to achive
that (strangely enough they don't want to use the remember pw option of MS
(dunno if it would work at all).

Thanx in advance,
Michael.

--