[SQU] NCSA authentication???

From: Tim Tyler <tyler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:47:23 -0500

Squid experts,
   Has anyone gotten the NCSA authentication program, ncsa_auth, to work on
an IBM AIX 4.3.3 system? I have squid up and running seemingly
fine. However, when I try to turn on the external authentication with
these lines:

acl user_passwords proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow user_passwords
authenticate_program /pub/squid/bin/ncsa_auth /pub/squid/etc/passwd

I get the following errors in my logs after browsers continue to fail to
log in:
971731459.235 18 144.89.40.70 TCP_DENIED/407 1371 GET
http://www/beloit.edu/~libhome tyler NONE/- -

I not only used what I thought was a good password file from AIX, I also
tried using a password file created by htpasswd from apache. That gave the
same errors as well. For some reason I can't get the external NCSA
authentication to work. Can anyone shed more light on what I might
try? Do I need more than what I have above? If someone has it running on
AIX, please tell me what steps you did to get it to work. --Thanks!
  Tim
Tim Tyler
Network Engineer - Beloit College
tyler@beloit.edu