Re: [SQU] Accelerating multiple hosts without Domain Names

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:23:02 +0200

Raśl Espiga wrote:

> Now i need to add 2 more cameras to my system and i don't know how to
> configure it. I have read a lot of posts about accelerating multiple web
> servers, but no one fits my needs. My system is not in Internet, it's an
> Intranet system without domain names, my squid is in 192.168.14.2, my
> camera1 in 192.168.14.61, camera2 in 192.168.14.62, etc.
>
> How can i setup squid to be able to accelerate 3 different web servers
> running on 3 different IP without translating domains to IP???

One alternative is to have multiple IP's on the proxy, and translate the
IP's to IP's...

To do this you need to write a small helper that rewrites the proxy IP's
to their corresponding camera IP's. Perl is a good tool for writing such
helpers.

#!/usr/bin/perl -p
BEGIN { $|=1; }
s/192.168.14.3/192.168.14.61/;
s/192.168.14.4/192.168.14.62/;

Another is to have some name resolution sheme (DNS or WINS) that allows
you to access the proxy by multiple names rather than IP's, and then
have hosts entries on the proxy for these names to the cameras, or use a
redirector like the above to rewrite the names to the camera IP's.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker