[SQU] Unknown problem causing machine to hang... (fwd)

From: Neil A. Hillard <hillardn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:22:32 +0100 (BST)

*** Also posted to the FWTK mailing list to get their verdict on things ***

Hi folks,

        sorry to bother everyone, but I'm currently having problems with
our web cache which has been working for the past 6 months and now decides
to turn up it's toes whenever it feels like it.

Our current set up is:

        RedHat Linux 6.2
        Squid 2.3.STABLE4
        http-gw from FWTK 2.1
        Netscape Directory Server 4.11

The way things work:

        Squid runs on port 3128, users have their browsers configured to
use this as their proxy. Squid hands off authentication to the Netscape
Directory Server using the LDAP authenticator. Squid is set up with the
http-gw (running on port 8080) as it's parent. All http-gw requests are
handed off to the http-gw which is set up to remove Java and Active-X.

Symptoms:

        Every now and again, doesn't appear to be load related as it's
happened early in the morning and late at night as well as during the day,
the server totally hangs. Nothing is logged to the syslog, I've enabled
kernel messages on the console and disabled screen blanking but still
nothing. APM is disabled. It's not a hardware problem (as first
suspected) as I've rebuilt the machine on completely different hardware,
not utilising any of the old hardware and I'm still at a complete loss for
ideas.

I was just wondering whether any of you guys had seen anything similar or
whether you've got any suggestions. Any comments welcome, as I'm getting
hassle, and I just haven't got the foggiest.

Many thanks in advance,

                                Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    hillardn@gkn-whl.co.uk