RE: [SQU] proxy authentication

From: ajay chaudhari <ajaylinux@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:45:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hi paul,
  Thanks for the help,I am still stuck with a small
problem reconfiguration of squid with -k option.

--- Paul Clayton <paulc@unihold.co.za> wrote:
> I have recently done this at our offices. It is
> quite simple. You need to
> compile thwe source code. So for instance you
> mention NCSA auth. Go to your
> source page, and change directory to /squid
> {whatever the version is
> }/auth_modules/NCSA
>
> Run `make`
> then run `make install`
>
> check in your /usr/local/squid/bin directory that
> the file "ncsa_auth" is
> installed. If not something went wrong.

***********
ncsa_auth is installed, it is in
"/usr/bin " dir
***********

> Now in your squid.conf file you will need 3 lines as
> follows
>
> "authenticate_program /usr/local/squid/bin/ncsa_auth
> usr/local/squid/etc/passwd"
>
> "acl password proxy_auth all REQUIRED"
>
> "http_access allow password"
>
> I have used the quotes to highlight the lines. The
> lines do go in specific
> places for clarity.

********
I did this
*******

> Now use "htpasswd" to create a password file and
> list for your users.
>
> `htpasswd -b /usr/local/etc/passwd fred
> 13$#21my_password`

***********
I am using the "/etc/passwd " file, I copied it to a
different dir and gave that path in squid.conf file
**********

> Reconfigure squid with the -k option and it should
> run.
**************
what is the command for this.
*************

> Regards

I tried to run squid after doing the above
changes(without reconfigureing squid with the -k
option as I donot know the commands for that),I get a
error as follows

"FATAL:All authenticators have exited!"

Please help

thanks